I am an ordinary guy who enjoys riding motorcycles. I love riding all makes and models. I love short rides, long rides, and multi-day road trips. I post reviews about motorcycle gear, motorcycles, roads, restaurants, sights, gadgets and more. The Motorcycle Facts,Trivia and History page has a lot of good info. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Oz.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Little known places are often the best places.

I love those places that only the locals know about. A local diner, the country road traveled by farmers, or an area attraction, these are the places I enjoy visiting. Not only do I avoid the crowd, but I get a touch of personal service and some local flair.
One such place I stumbled across is the Delta Music Museum in Ferriday, Louisiana. This small museum honors individual from the music industry that have direct ties to the Mississippi Delta geographical area. When I stopped by in July of 2009 there were 17 individuals in the "Hall of Fame", including the three famous cousins from Ferriday, Jerry Lee Lewis, Mickey Gilley, and Jimmy Swaggart. Other inductees include Aaron Neville, Fats Domino, Irma Thomas, and Percy Sledge.

Outside the museum is the Walk of Fame where each inductee has his/her own star. The museum was once the Ferriday Post Office.  The grounds are nicely kept and landscaped.  Admission is free, but donations are welcomed.
When I entered the museum two long-time residences of Ferriday enthusiastically welcomed me. One sweet lady (sorry I do not remember her name) walked with me through the exhibits and gave me an informative personal tour. She was a wealth of knowledge and had experienced personal contact to many in the Hall of Fame.

The exhibits were informative and displayed original personal items of the inductees. Each exhibit was carefully and tastefully arranged. There was a family like atmosphere in the entire museum.


I will go back to Ferriday and visit the Delta Music Museum, but I will take my son so he can see some of the great influences in music. It is a great place to visit and as a bonus it is just across the Mississippi River from Neches and the southern end of the Neches Trace.   MAP

No comments:

Post a Comment