I am an ordinary guy who enjoys riding motorcycles. I love riding all makes and models. I love short rides, long rides, and multi-day road trips. I post reviews about motorcycle gear, motorcycles, roads, restaurants, sights, gadgets and more. The Motorcycle Facts,Trivia and History page has a lot of good info. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Oz.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Stay hydrated or at least wet your whistle.

I resisted at first.  I thought, "I don't need a drink when riding."  Well, last summer I rode on a friends bike for a few days and he had a cup holder.  Before I knew it I started using it and I liked having a beverage available while riding.

After I gave his bike back I started missing the convenience of having a readily available drink.  I ordered an inexpensive black plastic cup holder and it worked great.

After purchasing the Venture in May I put the cup holder on the bike, but it sure did not look quite right on the new shiny Venture.  After looking at some other options I ran across a great deal on a Kuryakyn universal cup holder while at the Jeff Williams Motorcycle Swap Meet in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

The cup holder mounts on either clutch or break perch mounts, or if you use a clamp it can mount to the handlebars.  The cup holder accepts a wide range of cup/bottle sizes.  The chrome C-ring has rubber nipples that accommodate various sizes and keeps a good grip on the cups.  A sturdy nylon mesh net with leather-like material makes up the bottom portion of the cup holder.

The chrome ring, attachment, and bolts look good and are very sturdy.  Kuryakyn provides three pairs of extra bolts and two bushings to make mounting easy.  I chose to use one bolt and not have the cup as high up as it would be if both perch mounts bolts were used.

I have found the cup holder convenient, reliable on corners, and good looking.  I recommend the Kuryakyn universal cup holder for your bike.  I think you will like it.

6 comments:

  1. Very practical idea! I once suffered gout as a result of getting too dehydrated on a motorcycle tour.

    Great website by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had some long rides during the hot Texas summer - staying "watered up" is vital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very cool cup holder. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you hold hot coffee cups in that thing? I got a Star 1100 and miss my morning stop to the coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a coffee drinker, but I am sure it would hold a nice mug of your favorite hot beverage. I sure worked well while I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for riding here in Wales! You could catch all the rain in it and have a constant supply of pure water. Seriously, I envy guys who live in places so warm they have to worry about dehydrating. We worry about 'hydrating', i.e. getting soaked! Nice post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete