I am an ordinary guy who enjoys riding motorcycles. I love riding all makes and models. I love short rides, long rides, and multi-day road trips. I post reviews about motorcycle gear, motorcycles, roads, restaurants, sights, gadgets and more. The Motorcycle Facts,Trivia and History page has a lot of good info. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Oz.

Monday, July 29, 2024

LongTerm Indian Challenger Pursuit Review

2022 Indian Pursuit at Bishop's Castle near Rye, Colorado

After almost eight years on the Honda VFR and 72,452 miles it was time to change motorcycles.  I remarried in October 2018 and Jennifer enjoys riding, but the passenger comfort was not great for her so we wanted to get something we both could ride for longer rides, day trips and multi-day trips.

I researched numerous touring motorcycles.  I wanted the following:

  1. Comfort for both of us
  2. Performance i.e. good torque, good speed, smooth power delivery
  3. Smooth handling, agile
  4. Adjustable windsheild
  5. Good reputation/reviews and customer service
  6. Appropriate seat height - I am 5'6"
  7. Not found in every neighborhood

I realize some of the criteria is subjective and open to personal likes and preferences so I needed to research and test ride some bikes.   I will spare you the boring details of how the decision was made, but I test rode to bagger motorcycles and landed on the Indian Challenger.  I was going to add the tour pack, passenger floorboards and a few other items.  

February and March, 2022 I was looking at the Challenger I discovered Indian had just released the Pursuit - a full tourer with the foundation being the Challenger.  This piqued my interest so I started asking questions and looking at the Pursuit.

There were no Pursuits in any NE Texas dealership in March of 2022 so I visited the Republic of Texas Indian in McKinney, TX to test ride a Challenger since the Pursuit is a Challenger with the Pursuit touring package.  The Challenger test ride was great.  I really loved the power of the 108 PowerPlus engine, the comfort and the smooth handling, especially for a cruiser-based touring bike.  After 12 years on sport touring motorcycles the handling needed to be top notched.

After communicating with three different Indian dealerships I placed my order and in a little over 2 weeks I picked up the Pursuit!     

March 25, 2022 Picked up the bike and headed to Tyler, TX

Now after 22 months I have over 22,000 miles on the Pursuit. I have ridden it in 13 states (a lot in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado), in rain, 100+ degrees, cold weather, nice weather, big cities, rural areas and various conditions in between.  Famous named roads (Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Talimena Drive, Million Dollar Highway, The Silver Thread, Natchez Trace...), interstates and rural roads have all been part of the journey.  Now it's time to give a honest long-term review of the 2022 Indian Challenger Pursuit.

Running up Rocky Mountian passes was no problem and was a lot of fun!

Here are a few basic specification of the Pursuit- furnished on Indian Website:

108 cu in PowerPlus engine - liquid cooled
122 HP
128 ft-lbs torque
6.0 gallon tank
Seat Height 26.5in
Wet Weight 917
Brembo brakes
Heated grips (a first for me)
7 inch Infotainment screen

I have modified, changed or added the following during this time - not all at once.

Added:
Mesh grill covers for vents and windshield vent (not really sure what to call the cutout on the bottom)
Pathfinders driving lights
Pathfinders Saddlebag running lights
FormTech phone holder
Wind Rider Seat Cover (used late spring to late fall)
Lower Fairing Storage

Changed:
Stock Headlight to Pathfinder Adaptive Headlight
Stock Seat to Indian Heated Touring Seat

First I must say the Pursuit is not the same type of motorcycle as my previous two sport touring bikes (Yamaha FJR 1300 and Honda VFR 1200).  It is longer and heavier so my thoughts and comparison is based on the cruisers I have ridden (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Honda and Ducati).
Just a few months of ownership and loving it.

The Pursuit is heavy and I can feel it until it it gets rolling.  The handling and responsiveness of the motor negates the weight.  I know I have to be mindful when stopping and/or parking.  I check for slope, angle, gravel... so that I can safely stop.

The handling stood out most to me.  Curves and switchbacks are fun and exciting.  According to TheAutopain.com the Pursuit lean angle is 31 degrees and the Harley Davidson Road Glide's is 29 degree.  My personal experience is the Pursuit will lean into curves and power through with ease.
 
July 2024 on US 129 aka The Tail of The Dragon
 
The 108 cu in PowerPlus has great torque and pulls up hills and mountains without having to slow down.  Passing others is simple with signal, a look over the shoulder and a twist of the wrist.  The power and speed comes on smoothly and with a grin.  
 
The Indian heated seat allows me to ride comfortably for miles, day after day.  I am very comfortable with the seating and handlebar positions.  The controls for the signals, horn, cruise control and the infotainment system are easily accessible.  The infotainment system is customizable which allows owners to personalize the screens to his/her liking.  

Comfort, performance and styling all in one great package
 
Motorcycles preferences are personal to each rider, but I believe the Indian Pursuit is top of the line in the cruiser based touring category.  I have had miles and miles of great riding and smiles.  If you are looking for a two up touring machine I would highly recommend the Indian Pursuit.

Here is a short video I made about my Pursuit, check it out - Pursuit Review Video

 
Connect and follow Biker Oz on the following:

         https://www.instagram.com/ordinarybikeroz/?hl=en       https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009663932095
 
Please visit the following great companies:

 

Ordinary Biker Oz YouTube Channel has video reviews and more


* I have personally ordered from and/or visited these businesses and based on my experiences I recommend this company.  I have an affiliate relationship with the businesses, which means if you follow this link and purchase, I will receive a small commission and will get to ride more!
 
Feedback on these businesses is appreciated.  You may comment below.

2 comments: