I am an ordinary guy who enjoys riding motorcycles. I love riding all makes and models. I love short rides, long rides, and multi-day road trips. I post reviews about motorcycle gear, motorcycles, roads, restaurants, sights, gadgets and more. The Motorcycle Facts,Trivia and History page has a lot of good info. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Oz.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Independence Pass, Colorado


Beat The Heat Tour parked at Independence Pass overlook.
In July 2016 I led some friends on a motorcycle tour based out of Breckenridge, Colorado.  One of our days of riding included a trip to Aspen via Colorado Highway 82 over Independence Pass.  At 12,095 feet Independence Pass is the third highest pass in Colorado.
 
Eastern view from overlook
We turned onto CO 82 heading west from US 24 quickly passing Twin Lakes and gradually gaining elevation. Just past the lakes there is a small community with a little "surprise" as travelers enter town.
The sudden appearance of police car can make one grab some brakes
I am sure the old police car and mannequin gets the attention a lot of travelers on CO 82.  I know I grabbed some brake as I came out of the corner approaching the little community. 

From US 24 to the Independence Pass Overlook is 23.5 miles.  The road has nice curves and long sweepers until the last five miles where there are three very sharp switchbacks which require low gears.  The views a long the way are awesome!
 Video of riding down west side from Independence Pass
Sign at overlook warning riders and drivers
View from overlook - watch on YouTube
We left the overlook and continued about 19 miles to Aspen.  The portion from the overlook to Aspen did not have as many switchbacks, but still had curves, sweepers and elevation change.

We did not stay long in Aspen, it was crowded.  We stop in Leadville for lunch at High Mountain Pies.

We greatly enjoyed the ride, the lunch, the views and the fun.  I look forward to riding the area again.


Connect and follow on social media

         https://www.instagram.com/ordinarybikeroz/?hl=en       https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009663932095
 
Please visit the following great companies:


https://dukecannon.com/?rfsn=3578014.7da392
Logo 468x120

Ordinary Biker Oz YouTube Channel has video reviews and more


* I have personally ordered from and/or visited this business and based on my experiences I recommend this company.  I have an affiliate relationship with this business, which means if you follow this link and purchase, I will receive a small commission and will get to ride more!

# Based on reviews, word of mouth and discussion with others I recommend this company.  I have an affiliate relationship with this business, which means if you follow this link and purchase, I will receive a small commission and will get to ride more!
 
Feedback on these businesses is appreciated.  You may comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh that sunshine from last year looks so nice with the rains we've had. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been too long since I've ridden Independence Pass....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun. I could ride it 2 -3 times in a day and enjoy every mile.

      Delete