I am an ordinary guy who enjoys riding motorcycles. I love riding all makes and models. I love short rides, long rides, and multi-day road trips. I post reviews about motorcycle gear, motorcycles, roads, restaurants, sights, gadgets and more. The Motorcycle Facts,Trivia and History page has a lot of good info. Be safe and enjoy the ride, Oz.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

I have been Flashed!!

Everybody Wants Better Performance
In the winter and spring of this year (2016) I debated about changing from the Honda VFR 1200 back to the Yamaha FJR 1300.  I ended up deciding to stay with the VFR 1200 and make some changes to fit what I wanted.

The latest customization has proven to be the biggest grin inducing change!  After a lot of reading and talking to a fellow VFR rider I decided to have the ECU re-flashed by Don Guhl Motors. 

It was almost time for a valve adjustment and other maintenance so I took the VFR to my mechanic.  I removed the fairings and the ECU.  While the ECU was being sent to Don the bike got a valve adjustment, new plugs and new air filter.

Removing seat, fairings and gas tank to get to ECU

VFR sure looks
Time for a new filter!
The VFR's 1237cc V4 engine comes stock with 150hp at the wheel and weights 589 wet, but Honda has several restrictions on the motor.  The Don Guhl re- flash eliminates limits and raises the rev limiter by 500 rpm (if desired).

Little box control the big engine
I mailed the ECU to Don with the appropriate information including what exhaust was on the VFR.  The day after he received it the re-flash was performed and the ECU ship Next Day back to me all for $375.

Once back installation was easy, but the fairings where more difficult.  Thank goodness for friends.  I got the bike home, but too late to ride that night.  The inaugural ride would come the next day.  While the bike was out of commission I also added the mounting plate for the Givi case I ordered.
Givi case mount installed and ready for the first ride after the re-flash
The throttle response was immediately noticeable.  I was careful not to over do it and perform my first ever wheelie, several riders had experienced an unattended wheelie after the re-flash so I was wanting to avoid that.

The transition from gear to gear is now so smooth with no lag in power.  It is like I am constantly in the optimum power band.  Acceleration is immediate and produces a big smile.
The VFR and my sons ZX6R - he noticed the difference when following.
This is the first performance modification I have made on a bike and I am very happy with it.  I would without hesitation recommend Don Guhl Motors for your motorcycle's ECU reflash.  You will be smiling when you feel the power.

 
Connect and follow on social media

         https://www.instagram.com/ordinarybikeroz/?hl=en       https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009663932095
 
Please visit the following great companies:


https://dukecannon.com/?rfsn=3578014.7da392
Logo 468x120

Ordinary Biker Oz YouTube Channel has video reviews and more


* I have personally ordered from and/or visited this business and based on my experiences I recommend this company.  I have an affiliate relationship with this business, which means if you follow this link and purchase, I will receive a small commission and will get to ride more!

# Based on reviews, word of mouth and discussion with others I recommend this company.  I have an affiliate relationship with this business, which means if you follow this link and purchase, I will receive a small commission and will get to ride more!
 
Feedback on these businesses is appreciated.  You may comment below.

5 comments:

  1. Nice. I am glad it met or exceeded your expectations. We can be quite hesitant when it comes to bike mods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were definitely right is saying the VFR is a looker. It is one pretty beast. Always exciting when you can squeeze a little more stuff out of the bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the reflash done on my VFR 1200F and it completely changes the bike. i was never able to do a roll on wheelie before the reflash. now it's not a problem! lol. the bike is now the beast it should have been.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful looking bike, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete